FAQ  Search  Profile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in   Register
<  Animated Parallax Layers Not working
Rogue Ego
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:43 pm  Reply with quote

Okay, normal Parallax layers work just fine. This is my first time trying to do an animated parallax layer. In the stage, the background is an animated waterfall. The stage is great looking, but the animated parallax layer is not showing up. It just shows white. All of my other stages with non-animated parallax layers work just fine. Now, also I should note that when I unchecked the "Parallax Layer is Animted" box, it gives me an error.

I'm using Beta 8.

I've uploaded the PGF Export so you can check it out for yourself. It's Level 2, Madness Forest.

http://www.rogueego.com/triple_fang_build.zip

(At the time I'm posting this, it's still uploading, but should be done soon. Its file size is 78.4 MB)
Admin
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:20 am  Reply with quote
Site Admin

Sorry for my super slow response to this, but the reason your animated scenery isn't showing up as a parallax layer is because it is too large. Try using multiple smaller animated scenery objects instead of one huge one. Keep the dimensions of the animated scenery frames under 2048 x 2048 pixels, and everything should be fine.
Mixel
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:41 am  Reply with quote

Hmm! The fact that they go that big has me itching to try something! Very interesting. I don't know why but I assumed animating scenery had to be kept pretty small! 2048x2048 is epic!
Cobra
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:44 am  Reply with quote

I second that, that is HUGE. Very impressive.
Admin
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:02 am  Reply with quote
Site Admin

Glad to hear the 2047 pixel limit is big enough Wink The only reason there's a limit at all is because graphics hardware can only support textures of that size. (Even though it doesn't look like a textured polygon, that's what the animated scenery sprite is; it just happens to be facing directly towards the camera so it looks 2D.)

I just found and fixed a bug that made very large animated scenery objects disappear once their centers scrolled off-screen. Now a 2047 x 2047 object will be rendered onto the screen if any part of it is on-screen; not just its physical center.

But just to put things in perspective, a side-scrolling game for a 16-bit console (or a mobile phone) almost always uses scenery objects that are less than 48x48 pixels. All the scenery images for an entire game could be packed into an area of about 320x320 Smile
Cobra
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:53 am  Reply with quote

Admin wrote:
(Even though it doesn't look like a textured polygon, that's what the animated scenery sprite is; it just happens to be facing directly towards the camera so it looks 2D.)

I see, just like what they use to do for PSone games.