FAQ  Search  Profile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in   Register
<  Standard Backgrounds
mthomes
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

I'm making a non-parallax standard background and have run into some issues. I don't think this is a new beta issue or just a strange issue I'm having. I never had this problem in the past. I create a new level and choose "Standard Background" and place a pict file into the image well.

Then I hit "Test Game." I get a whole lot of black nothingness for a background.

I got it to work, but this doesn't seem right. I open the "Show Parallax Layers" in the Level Menu. Then I had to create a new Parallax Layer and place an image and mask into the appropriate image wells.

What I don't understand is. Why would I have to turn on show Parallax Layers and make a parallax layer. If I only want to use a standard (1 image) background?

Seems like a strange setup. It does this in both Beta 6 and 7 for me. Anyone else have this issue or is this just the way standard backgrounds work?
Admin
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:34 pm  Reply with quote
Site Admin

I'm not sure exactly, but one idea comes to mind...

I assume that you want your game to have non-parallax backgrounds only, and that you've configured the default prefs to have parallax turned off and that the Parallax checkbox has been made invisible in the game's preferences window.

One thing that might still be wrong is that the game's current preferences file is set to "use parallax", and that's why you don't see anything. Try trashing the game's prefs file, or just hit Restore Default Preferences in the game's Prefs window. Sorry I can't think of anything else... I'd be glad to take a peek at your game project if you'd wish to post the current version online.
mthomes
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

Yep it was the Parallax Scrolling option.

So why does the preference file for one game effect the preference file of another?

FOR EXAMPLE:
I started a new project from scratch. Made it standard and tested it. I unchecked Parallax Scroll check box (it WAS checked) and it worked fine. I Started another new game from scratch. I made it standard and tested it. I checked the preferences and it was still no longer checked from my last change. Is this the preference for when your testing a game? Then once you build a game it no longer uses the same pref file?

I think this setting of parallax scrolling ON causing their NON parallax background to fail might be a bad thing. It just isn't very intuitive. I'm not sure what solution there would be. Maybe having the check box off by default and when a person chooses Level > Show Parallax Layers. It checks the box for them.

Just an idea...

THANKS FOR THE SUPER QUICK AND SPOT ON RESPONSE THOUGH!
Admin
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:08 am  Reply with quote
Site Admin

The preferences that you set for one game can affect another game if both of the games are set to the same name in the Interface Window, under the Additional Properties tab.

This property (labeled "This Application's Name" is currently used to determine the name of the game's preferences file, as well as the name displayed in the game's various dialog boxes (i.e. "Sorry, but Untitled Game has encountered a serious error. Please throw your computer away immediately.") I bet the problem you described would have been avoided if the game name was automatically set to whatever you name the game project when creating it, instead of defaulting to Untitled Game. I'll make that change and hopefully that will help.
mthomes
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:36 pm  Reply with quote

That makes sense. Thanks for the help. Now I know what to avoid in the future.