FAQ  Search  Profile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in   Register
<  hypothetical iphone development?
Mixel
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:30 am  Reply with quote

I was just wondering Jesse.. (uh-oh).. If the RealBasic developers announced iphone compiling of apps (like Unity have).. Would you consider putting an iphone export option in PGF?

I know it would be a complete bitch to program, none of the 3D/graphics frameworks would work, etc.. It might be completely unsurmountable.. But now the appstore is opening up, the iphone market place would be a really good target for little platform games and shooters.

Pie in the skyyyyy.. Laughing
gyroscope
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

Wowser Mixel, that'd be somat else if Jesse could suss that one! Cool Very Happy

I guess the best angle of attack would be to to make the PGF to iPhone interface a plugin, that way the integrity of PGF wouldn't be compromised...

Quote:
Pie in the skyyyyy...

Hope springs eternal! (Where's that fingers-crossed emoticon er, gone?!

Razz
Admin
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:13 am  Reply with quote
Site Admin

REAL Software hasn't announced whether they'll support compiling for the iPhone, but even if they did, I'm doubtful that Power Game Factory games could be made to work on the device. The phone itself is probably powerful enough since it 128 megs of usable RAM and gigabytes of storage capacity, but PGF relies on a couple independently developed REALbasic plug-ins that probably wouldn't carry over to the iPhone.

..and then there's the question of how to make a side-scroller with touch controls.

At my other job (developing mobile phone games) we're confronted with the issue of how to port existing mobile games to the slew of new touch-only devices. Games that rely on point-and-click interfaces are pretty well suited to this new breed of devices, but side-scrollers are not.

It makes me long for an iPhone accessory containing a D-pad and A and B buttons that you could shove into the bottom of the unit Smile

On a somewhat related note, most cell phone games are limited to just a few hundred KB; they're even smaller than typical Super Nintendo games. Developers pride themselves on how much they can cram into the available memory. Just the other day we shaved 100 bytes off the size of a game, brining it down to under 100 KB, and declared it a great success Wink iPhone developers on the other hand are totally spoiled: Apple has imposed a generous 2 GB limit on the size of iPhone applications Shocked
Mixel
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:30 am  Reply with quote

I thought that'd be the case, just thought it'd be worth asking, hehe. Yeah normal (java?) phone development sounds incredibly difficult but nicely oldschool, I like having tech limititations to have to work under.

Personally I'd use the accelerometer "tilt down" to duck, tilt left/right for walk left/right. a little bottom left of screen touch for jump and bottom right of screen for fire, forcing it to be played in landscape. Very Happy

I'm looking forward to experimenting with control schemes in xcode and (possibly) Unity. Problem with Unity is I dont know if they're putting the iphone export in the Indy version - if its only in the Pro version i cant really afford to experiment with that, lol.

.. I'd have so much HD space if games used up ~100KB. Very Happy