FAQ  Search  Profile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in   Register
<  video compression
yanN
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:21 am  Reply with quote

I can only seem to record videos with F2 and have them come out as ´video´files and none of the other settings..for then it crashes.. and when I use quicktime to save said file as anything else to cut down in size (2 min.=250 MB??) it crashes repeatedly aswell. Only final cut seems to handle it..

Is that just me ?
Mixel
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:55 am  Reply with quote

That used to happen to me too.. !

Then at some point it stopped.. :/ Not sure when or why.. Sorry.
gyroscope
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:49 am  Reply with quote

I haven't done much stuff with cutscreens yet, so I'm no help there...

But I've a suggestion to help the file size of the movie: I think a 2 min cutscene, even a main intro one, is v-e-e-r-y long; just my opinion... Couldn't you do some editing and get it down to a minute or even 40/30 seconds? This would drastically reduce the file size, of course...

What size video are you using? The one time I tried, I used 320 x 240 with the reasoning that the chances of people using 1 x resolution game were few; and as you know if 2 x rez is used, its doubled in size, so it's still reasonable for viewing.

Can PGF run mpeg4 compressed files? Don't know...

Razz
yanN
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

Gyro.. I'm not talking about cutscenes (and if you think 2 min is long I take it you're not looking forward to the new Metal Gear ?).. I make recordings of every major tweak I make for future reference..
sometimes I don't see things while play testing but I do pick up on little glitches with repeat viewing. I had a character turn invincible (?)and while playing I thought the blue cube thingies were too far away from the player's body.. when I watched a couple of recordings I realised there was a glitch in my matrix.

Mixel.. I used to have videos with tons of artefacting when you pulled the slider (forward/rewind) that has now dissappeared without me doing anything about it. I just can't seem to use anything on PGF's long list of video compression types except the 'video' one.. and I've tried a bunch of them. Quicktime's conversions are also very fickle and I've tried most of them now... Its not the end of the world for personal use video is fine.
gyroscope
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

Hi yanN: aah, misunderstood, sorry 'bout dat!

As to cutscene length, my reasoning is that a 2 min cutscene in a Playstation game lasting 5/6 hours or more gameplay, is balanced; for PGF games, I'm guessing (and wildly generalising) that the average gameplay would be no more than an hour/hour and a half maybe and thought 2 min cutscene would be over the top for this...but anyhow you weren't talking about that...

Quote:
... when I watched a couple of recordings I realised there was a glitch in my matrix.

Neo!! Wink

Continuing success in the dev of your game...

Razz