FAQ  Search  Profile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in   Register
<  Beta 6 Zombie bugs..
Mixel
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:59 am  Reply with quote

Thought I should give this it's own topic so as to not clog the beta6 announcement thread with techy stuff.

Firstly, some frames of the player animation have a grey outline.. But it's not repeated. For example if i punch, one frame in the anim will have it, but when i carry on punching it doesn't do it anymore.. its almost as if there's a 'grey frame' which happens the first time the player does each animation/action, which once 'used' has gone away.. So the grey frames stop happening after a short time playing.. The grey frames don't come back between levels, lives, or even gameovers - once they've happened once that seems to be it.
(this happens on both MB and G5)

ed: I've done a bit of messing around, filming it etc.
- for some reason PGF is antialiasing the player in some of his frames at the beginning of his life. (i thought it might be a capture glitch - it doesnt seem to be though), and i guess the halos happen then because of sudden wonky alpha channel that isn't made with antialias in mind? I can't imagine why they'd only happen 1 frame per animation once each. The antialias seems to start off rife then get sucked out of the player after performing his animations, like the white halo, but they seem to stick around a little longer, more than one time per animation sequence *i think*. @_@

.. Good luck. Very Happy
ed again: It doesn't happen at all if i switch off "screen scales to fit display" but then the game is tiny. Smile

The other bug is a ZH specific one.. You know you said you'd fixed the zombie rescue chain thing at the end of the swamp? On my builds it got much much worse, hehe.. Now it stays anchored to where the brick was.. Zommie walks right, like he should.. bounces back and forth a bit, then.. "The application Zombie Holiday has unexpectedly quit".. Every time. Laughing Eek!

Sorry. hehe. Embarassed
Admin
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:24 am  Reply with quote
Site Admin

Oops! Sorry about the zombie-chain bug. I'll have to take another look at that one. As for the antialaising/white halo effect, I hadn't noticed that before (well, I have to say I noticed it subconsciously; I just didn't want to admit to myself that it was there;) It is surely the fault of the new graphics framework I'm using. I am going to investigate the possibility of going back to the old one. Although using the old one requires some slightly kludgey coding on my part, it doesn't present any disadvantages that users would notice, so this should be very doable. Thank you as always for the detailed feedback Mixel.
Admin
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:56 am  Reply with quote
Site Admin

Well, it looks like reverting to the old graphics framework would have one major drawback: each character set would occupy twice as much RAM Sad
So for now I'd suggest adding some dark grays around the perimeter of each sprite, so that the white halo effect becomes an unnoticeable drab gray halo effect Wink
In the meantime, I'll see what I can do...
Peetsamps
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

I have a similar problem when Game Test force quits. Every time a certain part of the battle occurs when the boss changes character type it will start lagging and then force quit.
Mixel
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:00 pm  Reply with quote

On games with a dark backgrounds it's pretty horrendous.. Its not just the white halos either, the weird blurring that happens isn't nice either.

Jesse'll fix it I'm sure.. There's no way it could stay. If you bought, or even just downloaded a game and it had bizarro graphical bugs wouldn't you think it was a bit lame? I would.

Maybe theres some way to get the new framework to work without the halos anyway.. Considering they only happen once per frame/sequence.. Could you maybe make all the animations play whilst it's loading.. "behind" the loading screen, so all the dodgy artifacts have appeared invisibly? (i have no idea if that would work!)
Admin
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:21 am  Reply with quote
Site Admin

The white halos were introduced in the most recent beta, and this is caused by a bug in the new graphics framework that I am using. One of the reasons that I am using this new graphics framework is that it allows sprites to be "flipped", meaning that characters only occupy half the space in memory that they once did, and games can load more quickly.

The disadvantage, obviously, is the white halo bug. This has been corrected in yet another new version of the graphics framework. However the very latest version of the framework only works with the very latest compiler, and that has been a mixed blessing. The good thing is that this compiler produces universal binaries, meaning PGF games will run exceptionally fast on new Macs. The bad thing is that PGF games crash whenever shots are fired Sad This is not something I can fix myself; I'm waiting for yet another framework update to resolve the problem.

If it takes a long time for the next framework update to arrive, I might release another beta similar to the current one, using the previous graphics framework, which is stable. There would be one significant change in the new beta however: antialiasing will always be turned on. Currently antialiasing occurs only briefly, at the start of a game, before each sprite image has been cached. During this time, the white halo effect is present. Now if antialiasing were always on things would be consistent. You might take this to mean that the white halo effect would always be on, and in effect that is true. But fortunately, the white halo could be avoided. You'd have to fill your character sprites' negative space with black, and this is very easy to do using the paint bucket tool in PGF's built in image editor.

But I don't think it will come to that. I'm confident that the next update to the graphics framework will resolve things. In the mean time, thanks so very much for your endless patience!
Mixel
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:29 pm  Reply with quote

Nice! It's good to hear universal is working at all. Very Happy Even if nothing can fire, hehe. It sounds like big progress..

Hmm! I'm gonna go fill some of my empty spaces with black, and see how things look, too.. Not really sure why I'd not done that already. XD

Thanks for the update, that's really good to know.. Especially how much of it is to do with the frameworks being wonky.. Sorry if I've seemed impatient (which I'm sure I have, lol), I'll wait pretty much indefinitely tbh, as my game proper will take "forever" to finish, it's nice to know what's happening though. Very Happy

Now I know the bugs are gonna be here for a while I'll wrap up my demo. ^^ Just sound to fix really.
Mixel
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:37 am  Reply with quote

A couple more bugs. Perhaps.. Not sure..

I don't seem to be able to make stationary enemies them hurt the player.. Can stationary enemies which never move hurt the player atm? (the claws near the end of the swamp map) I don't *think* i got anything wrong.. I'm not using those claws on the level anymore anyway so it doesn't really matter.. just a mention in case it's broken.

The other one is a long standing.. thing.. I'm not sure if it's a bug. I've probably brought it up before, I can't remember, lol.. It can be pretty confusing on levels with loads of routines.... If you have routines affecting characters... If you delete a character in the level, the routine targets get shuffled along, so they all start acting on different characters. I assume it's going by 'number' rather than pairing to each unique critter. Things like message panes, if you pair them to an enemy's death, they all get jumbled if you delete a character one too. Its generally not a big problem at this stage.. but it can be v confusing to make everything work again. Smile

With all my things teleporting around the level in particular - earlier i had zombies falling into trees from above (the bat/zombie routines got jumbled)..
Mixel
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks. :} But I'm pretty sure they get shuffled anyway.. I have about 3/4ths of my stuff named already, and stuff which has been named is definitely being shuffled.. Sad
yanN
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

maybe what you need here is a way to group actions/routines/characters together so when you delete one PGF either deletes all or asks you what you want to do with all associated/attached