FAQ  Search  Profile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in   Register
<  New OS X Lion
atomicenergy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:39 am  Reply with quote

I recently updated to the Lion and i noticed that PGF don't work anymore because it says: Power PC aren't supported anymore. Jesse, what the heck's going on!? We just don't get any news and i feel bad about it. Please let us some feedback!
Mich2
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:54 pm  Reply with quote

Damn if it's doesn't work with this Sad
What we are suppose to do? Stop our project?
If I won't have any news about this, I think i will go back to unity...
atomicenergy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:39 am  Reply with quote

Yeah, it really pisses me off, this great engine is just not compatible anymore, and Jesse isn't bringing us any news. I don't think people will wait for an other versions since we all know there will not be. It's really bad right now, i'm shocked a little Sad
Mich2
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:58 pm  Reply with quote

I tried to play a game build using Lion, and no it's not working Sad
If you really want to continu it's possible to install a second os on your computer (Lion and snow leopard) for have the possibility to continue to work on your game, but if you want to sell it or share it's f***ed. It depend on what's your goal.
Anyway I will probably need to switch to an other engine...

PS: You re from Québec too! Smile
atomicenergy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

Mich2 wrote:
I tried to play a game build using Lion, and no it's not working Sad
If you really want to continu it's possible to install a second os on your computer (Lion and snow leopard) for have the possibility to continue to work on your game, but if you want to sell it or share it's f***ed. It depend on what's your goal.
Anyway I will probably need to switch to an other engine...

Me too i actually tried to play some of the PGF game from the other users and some of the game still runs, but some others are not compatible. I mean what the heck? Dead Town is still running, Soulless too, but Big Gulp Invasion isn't anymore, and such other crap like that. And when it's not compatible, theres this icon over the applications: I'M STILL ABLE TO PLAY SOME GAMES BUT SOME AREN'T SUPPORT WHAT THE F***. Sorry, but i can't understand what the heck's going on.
Mich2 wrote:
PS: You re from Québec too! Smile

Yeah! =D I speak French and English, but my main language is French. Wink
Mich2
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

Huh? Some games are working?? That's weird! Is there options when you try to build your game?
We definitly need to know why some games succeed to be launch!
Is it because working game have been build without the update 1.1? I guess Soulless was release before this update.

We need to share what we find for understand this.

PS: Mon anglais est moins bon que le tiens je pense car je suis pas Québécois d'origine Smile
atomicenergy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

Mich2 wrote:
Huh? Some games are working?? That's weird! Is there options when you try to build your game?
We definitly need to know why some games succeed to be launch!
Is it because working game have been build without the update 1.1? I guess Soulless was release before this update.

We need to share what we find for understand this.

I think it has nothing to do with it, because i released Crap Man after the Update and it still works on lion. But PGF itself isn't compatible anymore, i can't access my games and edit them, that's screwed.
Mich2 wrote:
PS: Mon anglais est moins bon que le tiens je pense car je suis pas Québécois d'origine Smile

Ok, mais au Québec on apprend le français québécois en premier puis après l'anglais comme langue seconde. Donc je ne suis pas parfait bilingue. Razz
Mich2
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

Shit! So it's not because of the update 1.1
For sure the editor will not work anymore because it's a PPC app, but if game build work it can be cool because it's still possible to install the older osx on a different part of your computer. But for now we need to understand why some games work and some other not :/

PS: En france on apprend le français de france, et on essaye l'anglais en seconde (j'ai bien dis on essaye) Donc on est monolingue Smile
atomicenergy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:15 pm  Reply with quote

Mich2 wrote:
Shit! So it's not because of the update 1.1
For sure the editor will not work anymore because it's a PPC app, but if game build work it can be cool because it's still possible to install the older osx on a different part of your computer. But for now we need to understand why some games work and some other not :/

I currently can't figure out why it's happening, i'll try and investigate on that.
Mich2 wrote:
PS: En france on apprend le français de france, et on essaye l'anglais en seconde (j'ai bien dis on essaye) Donc on est monolingue Smile

Oh donc tu es de France! Razz Mais je trouve que tu te débrouilles pas mal bien en anglais. Wink
Mich2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

Ok we will keep in touch!

Ps: Exact, je viens de france! En tout cas thanks man! Je suis devenu ben ben meilleur depuis que je suis icite! Wink
Cobra
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:05 am  Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not upgrading to Lion yet... not with such important games and apps still PPC. I still want to redo Soulless and create other games as well with it as it is still my favourite game development tool/engine.

Running a second OS is certainly the quickest temp fix one could do, but personally I'm keeping an eye out for Rosetta successfully being run under Lion before I upgrade.

PGF is an amazing app, especially for its price point. Real Studio alone cost over double what PGF costs. Then when you add the cost of the plugins that are used in our engines your draw will drop... I know mine did.

To make PGF itself an Intel app requires a huge amount of reprogramming just like most apps. That is why so many PPC apps/games never saw an Intel update despite this a long time coming. My fingers are still crossed that we'll see a new version of PGF as it's an update I would be more than willing to pay for.

(PS thanks for testing Soulless' compatibility with Lion!)
Cobra
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:26 am  Reply with quote

By the way, if anyone is still on the fence about updating to Lion, check out this website to see if your favourite apps will work or not.

http://roaringapps.com/apps:table
Hawktail
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

o nooooo, should of checked here first lol....
Cobra
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:58 am  Reply with quote

1.1 was a massive update for Power Game Factory. I was quick to recompile Soulless with it as it has too many improvements to miss out on.

The biggest and most important update being that games created with it are Universal Binaries. That is a PPC/Intel hybrid. This means games created using 1.1 work not only on the latest version of OS X but older versions too.

Any game not created using PGF 1.1 is a pure PPC and will NOT run on Lion.
So if your using 1.1 your games can (and will) run and can be sold to any OS X users including Lion users.

Hope that helps the confusion there somewhat.
atomicenergy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

Cobra wrote:
1.1 was a massive update for Power Game Factory. I was quick to recompile Soulless with it as it has too many improvements to miss out on.

The biggest and most important update being that games created with it are Universal Binaries. That is a PPC/Intel hybrid. This means games created using 1.1 work not only on the latest version of OS X but older versions too.

Any game not created using PGF 1.1 is a pure PPC and will NOT run on Lion.
So if your using 1.1 your games can (and will) run and can be sold to any OS X users including Lion users.

Hope that helps the confusion there somewhat.

Sorry i've been away and didn't saw your posts, my mail didn't notified me :/
Anyway yeah you're right i've made a game called Crap Man using PGF 1.1 and my game still runs... But the engine itself isn't working anymore Sad SO i hope there will be an update because i can't do my project... And also, when Snow Leopard came out, Jesse should have made an update so the Engine works more properly, because when you're playing the game it's alright, but when you're CREATING the game, it's such laggy! I have one of the most powerful mac of today (not the $5000 one O_o) and when editing my level it was such laggy. I hated it and stopped doing my game because it was too damn bad to work with. The Engine is super awesome but the compatibility is horrible, laggy.